Effective January 1, 2024
California Labor Code Section 515.5 provides that certain computer software employees are exempt from the overtime requirements stipulated in Labor Code Section 510 if certain criteria are met. One of the criteria is that the employee’s hourly rate of pay is not less than the statutorily specified rate, which the Department of Industrial Relations is responsible for adjusting on October 1st of each year to be effective on January 1st of the following year by an amount equal to the percentage increase in the California Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers.
Assembly Bill 10 (Committee on Budget, Chapter 753, Statutes of 2008) amended Labor Code Section 515.5 effective on September 30, 2008, to extend the exemptions to salaried employees whose annual and monthly salaries are not less than the statutorily specified rates, which the department is responsible for adjusting every October 1st of each year to be effective on January 1st of the following year by an amount equal to the percentage increase in the California Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers. Data used to adjust this figure is summarized in the table below:
Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (all items 1982-84 = 100)
|Index||August 2022 Index Value||August 2023 Index Value||% Change from 2022|
In accordance with Labor Code Section 515.5(a)(4), the department has adjusted the computer software employee’s minimum hourly rate of pay exemption from $53.80 to $55.58, the minimum monthly salary exemption from $9,338.78 to $9,646.96, and the minimum annual salary exemption from $112,065.20 to $115,763.35 effective January 1, 2024, reflecting the 3.3% increase in the California Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers.
Lisa Smith, SPHR, SCP
Here is what all you will get:
- Boss Calls™ – Access to EVERY Boss Call™ – Past & Future.
- HelpDesk for HR VAULT – Access to all 8 of our proprietary tools and applications to make your workday simple.
- Forms, Docs, Policies and Procedures Library – 700+ samples you can download and edit to fit your needs.
- U.S. ePoster Club – Download state, city, and local posters. Both required & recommended, for all 50 states & D.C.
- Same-day email support – Write to our team of SPHR and SCP professionals with all your HR questions.